Baton Rouge women's basketball lost at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College on Thursday night. The 51-44 defeat drops the Lady Bears season record 2-7.
After the first quarter, MGCCC led 10-9 and would extend the lead to double-digits at halftime. Trailing 27-17 at intermission, the Lady Bears used a 13-2 third quarter run to pull within 33-30.
MGCCC outscored Baton Rouge 11-1 over the next seven minutes of game action, spanning the end of the third quarter and half of the fourth quarter. With five minutes left in the game, the Lady Bulldogs had built a thirteen point lead that BRCC ould not overcome.
The Lady Bears are back at home on Saturday afternoon hosting Mississippi Delta Community College. The women's game begins at 2:00 pm, followed by the men's game at 4:00 pm.
- Baton Rouge forced 23 turnovers against MGCCC, but coughed up 26 of their own in the loss.
- BRCC outrebounded their opponent 43-41.
- The Lady Bears missed 16 free throws in the seven point loss.
- Ayliah Cooper scored 8 points and grabbed 7 rebounds for BRCC.
- Oterica Witherspoon ledd BRCC in scoring, she was the only Lady Bear in double-figures and she finished with 11 points.
- Pearl Jones just missed another double-double, finishing the night with 9 points and 11 rebounds.
- Rhomyia Tate added nine points and E'Layzha Bates pulled down 13 rebounds (7 offensive) during the game.